Saturday, February 7, 2009

New Theory - Post Operative Peripheral Nerve Injury?


Just Thinking

When I was at the Cleveland Clinic - the docs did not seem surprised that my symptoms started post-surgery/ERCP. That started me thinking - sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes that's a bad thing!


Many of the persons I have corresponded with concerning Hemicrania Continua have had it start or worsen post surgery. Mine started post surgery.

My body was positioned on my left side and I was told I would be repositioned after anesthesia with a roll forward towards my stomach with my face facing left and my left shoulder to the rear of the table. My HC pain is on the left side of my head. There seems to be a lot of literature about problems with perioperative and operative peripheral nerve injury - making this a known issue when dealing with unconscious or semiconscious people. My head would have probably been positioned with the left side down and my left shoulder to the rear of the table. I know there were issues with a bad allergic reaction during surgery which might have caused additional issues with positioning due to the emergency nature of the reaction. Could this be the cause? A peripheral nerve injury to the left occipital region of my head/neck? It makes more sense than just magically getting a headache that won't go away post surgery.

I've included a few links on the blog concerning perioperative nerve injury if anyone would care to peek at them. If anyone has any other ideas let me know! By the way the picture has a link to the Pitt.edu website where I found it. Click on the picture to go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment