Saturday, June 26, 2010

Home Again

Back from Cleveland

Very tired, legs are protesting, but made it through the trip without too much trauma.  The Headache tried to throw a fit but I managed to stomp it back into it's hidey hole.  The legs have had it, with the cane being totally necessary yesterday and today.

Never try to travel when you have a bad headache trying to worm its way out.  I got on the train system in Cleveland and totally missed my stop.  I got out where I thought I should be, and a very nice young girl directed me down the street where I could catch the bus to the Cleveland Clinic.  The plane schedules were very hectic as some storm had hit the northeast - I never thought I would get on a flight to Milwaukee to get back to KC.  People were very grouchy as flight after flight was delayed or cancelled.  One flight got cancelled because there were no flight attendants for the flight.  Thinking I will drive next time if I can get someone to ride with me.

I actually saw Dr. Mekhail this time, he examined my incisions (which have all healed well) and asked how my headache control was doing.  I told him that once or twice a month The Headache escapes and I was thinking perhaps if I had a pulsating program on the stimulator it might do better for those bad days.  Lilly, the study coordinator, found an ANS rep there at the clinic and she came in and added a couple of programs for me.   I haven't tried them yet, but will if The Headache keeps getting worse.

I am very discouraged about The Legs.  With the therapy and the epidural and the new muscle relaxers I was thinking that I would have less pain with travel and standing, but unfortunately it wasn't so.  Feet and legs are hurting and weak, and the pelvic pain is making me tremble when I try to stand.  I'm OK once I get on my pins, but the action is hard to do.

The client I was going to have to go to for the next install has decided to delay everything for two weeks.  I'm glad I don't have to go so I can maybe try more therapy and get myself in better shape.  Unfortunately I don't think damaged nerves are going to respond to therapy.  Damaged muscle: yes.  Dysfunctional movement: yes.  Nerves that aren't transmitting correctly: no.

I have to go back to Cleveland on July 22nd.  I tried to get out of it, but I have to be there to finish more surveys on their computer system and to have another physical review and to turn in the palm pilot headache diary I picked up this time.  Hoping they are able to publish soon.  Don't know what I will do if the clients try to reschedule to this week.  I have never turned down going to a client even at the worst of times healthwise, but this might be the one time I cannot go.  Hoping luck is with me and the client will delay further.  Not so good for my company, but I am being selfish today.

Maybe I will get to stay home over the 4th of July holiday.  It's my favorite holiday of the year.  I have two nieces born in July and one great nephew born in July, and a step great niece born in July.  A happy time for everyone!  Woo Hoo!!!  I am sure my legs will be better by then and I will be able to enjoy the day.

8 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers. I do so understand the misbehaving nerves and how they affect us each and every minute. Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are home and made it okay. Glad you have the opportunity, now that your client is delaying, to reboot and do some therapy. Blessings dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your new programs help you contain the runaway headaches. With any luck, the client won't reschedule to the same week you need to go back to Cleveland, but if they did, you would have to make yourself come first. I've always enjoyed the 4th of July too and hope you have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get your 4th of July holiday as you wish. Good luck with the new programs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebooting is a great metaphor. Trying to do it today, praying my brain is good for a hard boot!!!

    Thanks!!! Will whip on the legs again and MAKE them behave....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you get to enjoy the weekend. It sounds like a productive visit to the Clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty expensive visit Sue, costs me about $300 to $400 every trip up there. Sigh.... only one more left...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feeling better today dear one.

    ReplyDelete