Sunday, March 7, 2010

I'm Pixilated

Where's Harvey When You Need Him...

Thinking today about internal attitude. One of my favorite movies of all time, Harvey with James Stewart, not only makes me laugh it makes me think.  It's all about taking the alternative path through life, the road less traveled.  My favorite quote is:
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.
—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd,
I would love to be able to wander through the world, pleasantly surprised by everything just as Elwood was in the movie.  I tend to veer towards the logical smart side of the world, to the point I sometimes don't connect with others as well as I should.  I have built skills over the years to shore up this weak point in my personality, but under stress I have to pointedly refresh my committment to "pleasant".  

I was a disgruntled young person when I was in my early twenties until I dissected why I was being miserable.  I discovered that everytime I was angry or disappointed I had made the decision myself to experience that negative emotion.  I decided if that was the case, why not make a concerted effort to feel happy and joyous and positive instead?  It made a great difference in my life, and still does to this day but the old negativity still creeps in when I least expect it. 

I am adjusting my attitude, putting my positive foot foward, thinking sunshiney thoughts before heading into work tomorrow. I do wish I had a Pooka like Harvey to stop time and whisk me off to parts unknown for a day of pleasant conversation, so I could rest and rejuvinate.  No R&R time for quite a while, and I'm starting to wear down.  Sigh....



No comments:

Post a Comment